Saturday, April 9, 2016

Tena

Last weekend I visited Tena, a city in the Amazon. Now, I can officially say I have visited every region of Ecuador-- the coast, the highlands, the Galapagos Islands, and the Amazon. Both my classes on Thursday and Friday were cancelled, so I had to take advantage of the extra time to travel (Tena is about 12 hours by bus from Guayaquil).  Some of my friends planned to go to the beach, but I figured I could go to the beach when I get home, but I can't go to the Amazon, so I decided to go alone. It was my first trip I have done alone here in Ecuador, so of course it was a little nerve-racking at first, but it turned into a really fun adventure! At this point, I have had so much experience traveling in Ecuador and my Spanish is very good that I figured I wouldn't have a problem and I didn't! It was really exciting to be on my own and figure out how to get around. I found this really great hotel, owned by a family, the wife was from Chicago and her husband was a tour guide from here. After one day of exploring Tena on my own, the husband took me on a tour to see how yuca is harvested and to learn how chocolate is made. I made it home safe and sound and had a great time! Throughout my stay in Ecuador, I have definitely become more independent and confident, so doing one trip on my own was a really great way to begin wrapping up my time here.






On Thursday, I left mid-day, after my service. I spent Thursday night in Baños, which is about three hours from Tena. It was a good way to break up the trip. I was so excited to return to Baños because it has been one of my favorite places I have visited in Ecuador (and it has one of the best food markets!)






These are photos of my hotel in Tena. 


I treated myself to a delicious lunch- stuffed avocado and patacones!






Exploring Tena! Tena is really the last developed town of the Amazon before you start truly entering the "jungle."


Here is a man drying Cacao to make chocolate. Tena is rich in Cacao.  












I took a boat ride out to a little island where I learned about the yuca and chocolate.  It was a great trip!

1 comment:

  1. Grandma would be proud of you travelling around and exploring the country.

    ReplyDelete