Saturday, March 5, 2016

Galápagos!

I had a great time visiting the Galápagos Islands this week! I left last Saturday and got back yesterday. For the majority of the week I stayed on the island of Santa Cruz, the most developed island. Here, I saw some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The water was so clear and blue. It was obvious that all the visitors of the islands respected the wild life and environment. My favorite part of my visit to the island of Santa Cruz was the snorkeling tour I went on. I swam with giant sea tortoises and sea lions! It was incredible! I wish I had an underwater camera. On Wednesday, we took a two hour boat ride over to another island, Isla Isabela.  I spent one night here. Unfortunately, our first day was rainy, but I enjoyed exploring this island because it was very private, not many tourists were here as compared to Santa Cruz. I wish I had more time to explore this island, but it was probably good I had already purchased my boat ticket back because there weren't any ATMs! I made it back to the other island with 4 cents to spare! I definitely learned my lesson to do a little more research before I decide to take a boat over to a secluded island!

It was a really great experience traveling to the Galápagos as a student. Everything was really expensive and I had to figure out how to travel on a budget. We searched for reasonably priced hostels and tried to eat one big meal a day to save money on food. Someday, I would love to go back when I have the financial means to do more tours and see more islands. But, as a student, I think I was able to see a lot and I had a really great time! I couldn't have left Ecuador without visiting the Galápagos Islands!















I climbed through lava tunnels! 


I got a fresh fruit smoothie here every day. They were delicious!!






2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I saw the sea lion hanging out on the bench!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby

    It is your Uncle Jimmy. I have lost two posts already. I must be hitting something. Let me say that your pics and posts are amazing. You are also an amazing person and I am very proud of you...I will try to rewrite my messages to you later but wanted you to know in what high esteem I hold you and your wonderful family....love Jimmy

    ReplyDelete