Monday, March 28, 2016

Laguna Quilotoa

I had a great weekend traveling to Laguna Quilotoa, which is in Ecuador's Sierra region, about 3 hours south of Quito. Some of my favorite times traveling in Ecuador have been to the Sierra because the culture is so vibrant. It is common to see traditional dress and hear Quichua, the principal indigenous language. Laguna Quilotoa is actually a lake inside a volcano. It was stunning! We hiked down to the lake and I rode a donkey back up. Afterwards, I did some shopping in the local markets. It was a nice weekend!





I stayed in the town of Latacunga before taking a day trip to Quilotoa. It was interesting to see some of the Holy Week festivities. 




I got around Ecuadorean taxi style or in other words in the back of a truck!










The 6 hour bus ride home turned into 8 hours because a bridge collapsed. The bus crossed the river anyway! It is always an adventure in Ecuador!

1 comment: