Monday, January 11, 2016

My First week

My first week in Ecuador was incredible! I saw so many amazing places. Since I last posted we visited an Hacienda, where colonials lived and the indígenas worked the land. I found the visit to the Hacienda to be very interesting. I think researching the relationships between the colonials and the indigenous peoples in Ecuador could be a possibility for my thesis next year.  Here are some pictures of the Hacienda...it was beautiful!





After visiting the Hacienda, we stopped at the indigenous community of Salasaca, where I learned a native dance!



On Saturday, we climbed to the second refuge of the volcano Chimborazo. We were at approximately 16,000 ft.  The high altitude made it difficult to breath, but once we made it, the views were incredible. This was a major highlight from my first week.




Within 5 hours, I was in the intense heat of Guayaquil! I am safe and sound with my host family, who are incredibly nice and generous! I will be adding photos of the home and my new parents and siblings soon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprise you didn't get altitude sickness at 16,000 feet. What an experience. You are certainly learning a lot of history about Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Abbey, what an experience. I can't help but think about how great it will be to share this experience with your future students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, Abbey! I'm so happy that we can follow your travels and better understand your experiences through your blog. Keep the posts and pictures coming - it's great to see you having a such an amazing learning experience!

    ReplyDelete