Friday, January 22, 2016

Service

On Wednesday I had my first day of community service.  I was anxious and ready to start because the service piece was the main reason I chose this program.  It wasn't what I had in mind before coming to Ecuador, but I decided to volunteer at El Centro Integral de Equinoterapia.  This organization provides therapy through horseback riding, dance, music, swimming, gardening, etc. for kids with mental and/or physical disabilities. I do not have much experience working with children with disabilities, but as a future educator I will be teaching students of all ability levels.  So, I thought this would be a great place to begin gaining some experience! I enjoyed working in the music room.  I was able to really participate and interact with the children.  I'm looking forward to building relationships and getting to know all the kids.  Once I become familiar with them, I can better understand their needs and hopefully help them in anyway I can.  The service component is giving my experience here more meaning. 







2 comments: